Sunday, August 14, 2011

Birthday Boy

My Carter had his 3rd birthday party yesterday, and man oh man, did we ever have fun! We celebrated two weeks early simply for logistical reasons and our full calendar. We had a family only party which ended up being absolutely perfect....small crowd, laid back, very easy, and a ton of fun. Carter, Coop, and his cousins had a ball slip 'n sliding, playing in the pool, trying out all Carter's new presents, eating, playing trains, riding tractors etc...
This was by far the most fun birthday party we've had so far. I told my friend that the third birthday party is pretty much a kid's first real party. At one year old, they are a baby, and even at two years old, they are still a little oblivious, but at three, they have fully caught on to the birthday party scene! They have an opinion about everything concering the party, and they are well aware that their party is their time to shine. Loved seeing my little man have his day of glory.
He has been talking about his birthday party for about four months now, and he was so excited the day it actually arrived that as soon as he woke up, he said he wanted to go outside and wait on everybody to get here....too bad he had to wait until 3:00! The anticipation was almost too much :)
Here are just a few pics from the super fun day:
As you can see we had a Thomas the train AND a monster truck cake. Like I said, Carter had an opinion about everything this year. I loved it. He adored his cake, and admired it for the entire 24 hours before it was eaten. He kept saying to everyone, "Come look at my awesome cake!"

Presents....the best part for sure.

A bubble Mater....who comes up with such great toys? Perfect three year old boy toy. This was his favorite present of the day.

BB and PawPaw made the party special as always. They came bearing a ton of presents....all of which were fantastic. PawPaw helped assemble the toys, and BB cleaned up my entire kitchen and den after the party. To say I owed her big time would be an understatement. Thanks, BB and PawPaw for being so good to us!


Big present for a little boy.

It's a water table! Tons of fun!


Every kid needs some Gator Golf.

PawPaw and my nephew, Mills.

Anne Mitchell helping Carter get into all his presents.

Here's the crew. Are they precious or what? And let me tell you, they are all BIG buddies. Anne Mitchell and Elizabeth are Carter's very best friends. And I have a feeling Coop and Mills are going to be a dangerous pair one day. So fun getting them all together.

His moment of glory.


A great, great day. Loved celebrating our precious Carter. Happy Birthday, Buddy! We love you!

Dear Carter,
My big, big boy! Today you are three years old. So hard to believe. My buddy....speaking full sentences, carrying on conversations, and looking so old. If there was ever an exit from babyhood, you have made it over the past year. You are so very big and so very beautiful....inside and out.
I have loved watching the Lord work in your little heart this year. He has developed in you three very evident characteristics that are a blessing to my soul.
First is your grateful heart. You aren't aware of it yet, but God has used your grateful heart to change me. Oftentimes I am ungrateful and get caught up in small inconveniences or problems, but no sooner do I turn around and hear thankfulness streaming from your heart. Not an hour goes by that you don't thank me for something....your food, your milk, your new shoes, etc. Recently, I have started pulling out parts of your birthday present (a Thomas the train set), and everytime I give you a new piece, you so sincerely and genuinely say, "Thank you so much, Mama, for my new trains." And then ten minutes later, "Mama, I love my trains. Thank you so much."
Funny example, the other day we were walking down the stairs, and you looked up at the new picture of Coop on the wall, and you said in all seriousness, "Mama, thank you for my new picture of Coop on the wall." Warms my heart.
Second is that God has given you the gift of encouragement. Just today, I was painting a canvas, and you came and sat beside me and watched me. After a minute or two you said, "Good job paiting that train, Mama. You are doing a good job." When I am cooking dinner, you will often say, "Good job cooking Dada's dinner, Mama." You love to tell Coop and Dada that they are doing a good job too. You thought I did an amazing job on your birthday cake which was too sweet for words. You admired for the entire 24 hours before we cut it and bragged and bragged on it. You made me feel like a professional baker.
Your new thing lately is to tell us we are great. BB has been telling you lately that you are great, and in typical Carter fashion, you have paid it forward. You will often say, "Mama, I think you are grrrrrrrrreat!" (Just like the Frosted Flake commercial). And if I tell you that I think you are great, you will say, "Mama, Coop is great too."
Third is your forgiving spirit. So often I get impatient or frustrated or just plain tired. Often I will speak in a harsh tone or fail to give you grace when you need it, but inevidably you never hold a grudge. Ten seconds after I have lost my patience, you are in my lap. Ten seconds after I have growled under my breath, you are giving me a hug. You are full of grace and love, and you are so forgiving. God uses you, Carter, everyday to teach me and to teach Dada, and you don't even know it.
The past year has been my favorite year of parenting you by far, but in the midst of all the fun, it has also come with some challenges. You started your third year off with a new set of PE tubes, and then you had to start speech therapy, and then you struggled from some really sad separation anxiety due to your speech delay we think. On top of that we had to make you give up your beloved thumb. Tough stuff for such a little kiddo. But you know what, I have watched God do a mighty work in you, my precious son. God has carried you through so much, and brought you out on top! Can I get an Amen?
Your speech has progressed amazingly. I was watching videos of you on your second birthday, and I couldn't get over how far you've come. So proud of you, Buddy! You have worked hard and have become so brave and so big.
Since gratitude seems to be dominating this letter to you, I say that I am super grateful that the terrible two's are behind us! Yes, you had a pretty severe case of the terrible two's if I am being totally honest, but you know what, once again God has done a mighty work. Over about a six to eight month period, there were days where I would just want to throw my hands in the air thinking that nothing I was trying to accomplish was "sticking." It all seemed in vain and seemed like an uphill battle. That darn sinful nature. But slowly, I began to see God work in you. Not a day goes by that I don't ask God to please make you His own.....to capture your heart and mold you into a Godly man. And I have seen His faithfulness. You are not perfect, and you most definitely still have your moments, but Carter, you have turned a major corner. You have learned to share joyfully. You have learned to obey and to cooperate. You have learned to communicate instead of whine. You have truly become a joy to be around.
I tell you often that you must learn to obey Mama and Dada so that you can learn to obey God because He loves you so much. I hope it's penetrating your heart. I have said it a thousand times, but I'l say it again....I am so proud of you, Buddy, and how far you've come.
Some big milestones happened this year. You officially gave up your nap! After we had to make you stop sucking your thumb because of your oral motor skills, your sleep was never the same. It was so traumatic! For me as much as for you, I think. You started waking up in the night and would cry for me, and even ended up sleeping on the floor next to me for months! Very glad that one is behind us :) So after the thumb was gone, your naps became very "iffy." And after about six months of napping on and off, you finally gave it up for good. Now you sleep like a baby at night and every one is happy :)
What else happened? Well, you are over Elmo. You have moved onto Curious George and Thomas the train. You have really begun to use your imagination when you play with your trains. You will send them to Walmart or to the candy store or to the pet store, and you will tell me when they get a boo boo, or what they want/need at the moment.....this usually coinsides with what you want/need at the time. Percy really wanted to go play with Banks one day last week....wink wink ;)
You still LOVE your big green tractor and your YaYa, and you still really enjoy books. You love monster trucks, cars, helicopters, and airplanes. You love to swing, and you love animals. You still have a big love for music and musical instruments especially drums and guitars.
But more than Thomas or George or your tractor or monster trucks, you love your Coop. And I love that. You are always looking out for him. The nursery workers at church often tell me that you are always concerned about Coop and are always making sure he gets his snack. So sweet.
You two have the best time chasing one another and playing. You fight hard and you play hard. I never know what I am going to hear if you two are in the other room....laughing or crying. It is inevitably one or the other....the nature of brothers I guess.
You always report to me if Coop is into something he shouldn't be. I don't want you to become a tattle tell, but I have to admit, you have saved me a few times. Thanks :)
Some things I love about you: the way you pat my back when you give me a hug, your beautiful blue eyes, your dance moves, your excitement over the smallest things, your imagination, your contagious laughter which we hear ALL THE TIME, how you and Coop play chase, your "silly" face, your camera smile, how you run to the door when DaDa drives up waiting to hug and kiss him, watching you and DaDa play "mouse," and the list goes on.
It's hard to know where to stop. I could write for hours. But really what I want to say to you on your third birthday is that I love you, and I am so glad that I get to be your Mama. I am so glad God picked me to have you. You are a treasure, and I am thankful that I get to stay home with you everyday and be there to watch you grow and learn. I often tell people when they ask me about being a stay at home mom that I would eat Ramen noodles every day for years if it meant being able to stay home with you and Coop. Yes, it's hard work, but it's worth every sacrifice. You are worth every sacrifice. And it just so darn fun being with you.
Happy 3rd Birthday, Buddy!
Thank you for teaching me so much, and most of all thank you for loving me so much.
You are my sunshine.
Love,
Mama

Here are a few highlights from our fun this past year:




























We love you, Birthday Boy!


No comments:

Post a Comment