I am convinced this is one of God's greatest gifts...the priviledge of being a mom. It is a blessing and a joy that can't possibly be put into words. The way my heart has been touched and changed and revealed by motherhood is truly amazing. It is such a complex thing. How can something so exhausting, so depleting, and so overwhelming be so much fun and fulfilling? It's a mystery I guess.
As a mother, I am called to love, discipline, teach, feed, clean, shop, comfort, and the list goes on (All the while striving to be a Godly wife). When I think of all that God has called me to, I am completely overloaded! But when I look back over the past two years at all that God has done through me and taught me and changed about me, it creates an excitement in me to serve Him more and serve Him better in my role as a mom. There aren't many jobs in the world that get rewarded with spontaneous slobbery kisses, big smiles, and the contagious laughter of a child :) I wouldn't trade this for anything.
Daily I find motherhood revealing the selfishness in my heart. As I am wiping the table for the tenth time that day or changing the eighth diaper or standing in the line at Wal-mart, I often think to myself, "I need a break!" Motherhood requires constant selflessness, and that is hard, but so good for me. It's a continual reminder that it's not about me. But at the end of the day when both babies are tucked in tight, and I am sitting on the couch recovering from the busyness and reflecting on the day, my heart is full of joy and there is a contentment and a sense of accomplishment and suddenly I find myself thankful that it's not about me (sometimes...Ha!...man, I am selfish. Thank goodness God is working on me!).
One of my friends came over right after Cooper was born, and she told me that when things begin to get mundane and you feel you are all alone in the world and spend your days feeding and cleaning to just remember that what you do to the least of these, you do unto the Lord. What a great reminder! I often find myself going back to her advice. All I do for my husband and children, I am actually doing unto the Lord and He is so quick to see my efforts and even quicker to forgive my failures (of which there are many!).
I feel like I could write for days on being a mom. There is so much I feel, think about, love, struggle with, etc...But I will spare you anymore blabbering :)
Thank you, Lord, for the opportunity to take care of two of your little ones. I love being a mom. Help me do a good job. Help me love them like you love them, and help me teach them about Jesus, and help me to lose myself in this responsibility and look to you for all I need. Thank you for the joy I receive everyday from motherhood and for all the fun and laughter. Time is passing so quickly, and they are growing up so fast! Help me to seize the day and fix my every thought on you.
A small glimpse of my everyday life: Love, love, love it!
Thank you for sharing these sweet thoughts! Such good reminders. You are a wonderful mother! That picture just says it all-that is you!
ReplyDelete