Tuesday, June 5, 2012

The Story Behind the Names

Several people have asked me the story behind my kids' names because yes, they all match. How did we do it? 
Here's the story.
Carter Remington Bell
We seriously considered a junior with Carter, but Joel didn't want a junior because he didn't want another Joel, and his nephew is already named Will. (Joel is William Joel.) William seemed a little formal for us, and Liam just didn't quite fit. 
So one night at a movie, one of the character's names was Carter, and we loved it! We always knew we wanted to use Remington because it is Joel's mom's maiden name, and it's just so regal and cool. Carter Remington seems like such a firstborn name, doesn't it? I love Carter because it's one of those names that you don't hear too often, and it is perfect for him because he most definitely my most unique child. But in our house, he goes by Buddy 99.9% of the time. He's our buddy.

Cooper Arrington Bell
Cooper is just a name we pulled out of the sky. Isn't it the best name? Arrington is Joel's great uncle's name. Once again, an awesome family name and so stately. Love it.
I started calling him Coop at six months as a nickname, and it was so cute and fitting that is stuck! 
Coop....I mean how stinkin' cute is that? Doesn't help that he is so cute. He is my full of personality child, so it's very appropriate that he goes by a nickname. "Silly Coop" is what Carter calls him most of the time :)

Charlie Emerson Bell
I have two family names on my side that I love. Charlie (my dad's name) and Emerson (my maiden name). I couldn't use Charlie until my brother had a son and chose to use it or not use it because it's his name (Charles). I was holding out on using Emerson because I have always loved it for a girl's first name. So even though I was very tempted to use it on the boys (because I think it's very gender neutral), I stuck to my guns and left it in the vault. I always wanted three (except for about an 18 month period of being overwhelmed with two), so I knew I would use it no matter if my third was a he or a she.
So now that I am pregnant with what will most likely be my last child, and my brother has named his boy, and Emerson is still in the vault, I am about to grace my family with the best namesake ever....my dad's name! 
So glad we saved it for the baby because my dad is the baby of the family. So "little Charlie" as my dad has always been called is just as appropriate for my little Charlie. (Although, if it's a boy I have a feeling my dad will call him Pete...my grandad's name) Isn't Pete so cute?
Can't wait to see if we have a boy or a girl! But what's so cool is I love Charlie Emerson equally for a boy or a girl. Must be the absolute perfect name :)

So there's the story!
Carter Remington
Cooper Arrington
Charlie Emerson

I'd say we should win a gold medal for best child names ever....just sayin'.

5 comments:

  1. Jill-
    We are so excited for you and Joel and the boys! I love the names you have chosen, and we will be praying for a happy and healthy pregnancy. Hope to see y'all soon! -Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! So excited for you! It hasn't been that long since I went thru the CRAZY anxiety period that we identically share so I will be there with the words I so desperately needed to hear during that time, i.e. there is light at the end of the tunnel, this will not last forever, you will get thru this, you will sleep again, yes, it's OK to double up on your anxiety meds, etc etc etc! :)
    Will you call the baby, Charlie, whether its a girl or a boy?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are the best!!!! Just love you! We will call call a boy Charlie and a girl Emerson most likely. Can't wait to find out!!!

      Delete
  3. I do think you should get some props for such awesome names!! I was talking with Michelle about you being pregnant last night and it seems like yesterday you were telling us you were pregnant with Carter at 5 weeks along!! You were the first of my Memphis friends to get pregnant and I remember being so excited to come see you at the hospital. Anyway, LOVE LOVE Charlie Emerson for either gender!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lindsey! You are so sweet! I feel like I was just telling you I was pregnant with carter too!! Ha! It's all happened too fast! LOve seeing pictures of that precious Adele. So cute! Can't wait for you to have another... Wink wink :)

      Delete