Monday, April 29, 2013

Good times and keeping it real in the Baby Pit


 A bribed picture before a play date last week. They looked so cute, and I wanted a picture, so I busted out the marshmallows. Totally worth it.

All ready for picture day! Poor Coop got put in a loving choke hold.

We have had the best time in the driveway the past few weeks. Good weather makes for good times for this mama. Everyone is happier when we can bust out the tractors and soak up a little sun.

And then there is a chubby baby in a smocked bubble. She has had her hands like this for days now. I guess she discovered they exist :)

Bring on the contraptions!!! Four months always marks contraption fun for my babies. and oh boy do we ever had the contraptions! We have five in our den right now. Necessities.

Carter's 8am dance party Tuesday. Sheesh. If only I was that energetic.

You all know I like to keep it real on here. So here goes! We are loving our new normal with three kids, but don't think our lives are all cute pictures, smiley babies, and tractor rides. The truth is having three kiddos has made my life much more joyous and at the same time much more challenging. It has slowed down now that Emerson is down to eating five times a day and sleeping all night, but the logistics of everyday life are still complicated and the pace is super fast! In a nutshell, we are in the "baby pit"...by that I mean we are having to work with four naps for Emerson, one nap for Coop, five feedings for her, three meals for the boys, and two different bed times. In between and during those daily doings, we have school, grocery shopping, cleaning, cooking, the always full dishwasher and piles of laundry. And don't forget the constant interruptions of the phone ringing, "Mama, I poo pooed, come wipe me," "Coop hit me," "Carter called me a bad guy," "Mama, Coop is squirting toothpaste and making worms on the bathroom floor," "Mama, I'm thirsty, Mama, I'm hungry, Mama, draw this. Mama, find that." You get the picture. Fitting it all together, staying patient, and keeping everyone fed and rested and mostly injury free and happy has been a doozie! And it absolutely keeps me moving for 12 hours straight every day. I sit down to feed a bottle, read a book, or comfort a boo boo is about it. But besides the large work load, the hardest thing has been the PLANNING. You know I am a planner....I mean a real planner, but I have never had to plan like this before. I have to plan everything!!! I can't just run to the store for one ingredient...I have 45 kids, remember? At least that's what it feels like in Walmart with all three. Also, don't forget the naps and feedings...when would one possibly run to the store in between all that? I have to plan meals and food to the "T" so I can keep my shopping to a minimum, and I have to plan the trip the store when someone can keep the kids, so there is room in the basket for the groceries. I can't just run that pair of shoes back that didn't fit or even run the salon because the girl has a cancellation and can fit you in. I have gift credit to three different stores around town, but can't seem to find time to go! You get the picture. It's a lot! And it can feel quite claustrophobic. I told my friend, Elizabeth, the other day, that I feel trapped in my life sometimes!
Of course I wouldn't trade my crazy life for all the non-planning freedom in the world, but I would me amiss if I didn't tell you it's not all peaches and cream. It's the hardest thing I've ever done in my life! But thankfully, the most rewarding. Joel's aunt pulled me aside at a wedding this weekend and told me that she was proud of me for working so hard and that by having children and raising them in the Lord, I am doing the most important job in the world. How encouraging is that?! Made my day. Us mamas need to hear that, don't we? It's all unto the Lord....the "God who sees me", remember? Don't forget it, mama friends. (I am preaching to myself!) He sees every diaper changed, every spanking given, every kiss, every wipe, every meal, every snack, every car seat buckled. He sees you. And your work is a sweet fragrance to Him. So keep it up, and as Elisabeth Elliot said, "Just do the next thing." Focus on the giggles, the hearts you are molding, and mostly importantly the One in the baby pit with you.


6 comments:

  1. Thank you Jill for the encouragement! Such a sweet reminder that He sees us even in the mundane parts of our days. Going from 1 to 2 has been quite the challenge for us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our Facebook pictures and blogs often make life look so simple when sometimes you feel like you're on a sinking ship. Being a stay at home mom is wonderful but very challenging!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it and love you! You have always been so wise:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it!! So true! You are such a sweet friend and great momma!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Needed this today. HE always has perfect timing!

    ReplyDelete