Saturday, December 21, 2013

One Year Ago Today

One year ago today, this angel came into our lives. I can't believe it's been a year. What a year! What a baby! I am so thankful for the gift she is. 

Dear Emerson,
You are one year old today, sweet girl! I can't believe it's already time to write your birthday letter. I feel like you should still be a snugly newborn all swaddled and nestled in your swing. But hardly. You are a joyful, opinionated, on the move, mess making, giggly, nose scrunching ONE year old. 
The first birthday is such a bittersweet day. It's a celebration of babyhood survived, the celebration of bottles retired, naps dropped, infant car seats gone, contraptions passed on; it marks the ending of the itty bitty baby stage and the beginning of toddlerhood, the beginning of funny word pronunciations, toddling around the house, kisses starting to be blown, the beginning of Elmo, wearing shoes, dancing to music, a mouth full of teeth growing in, and yayas being drug all over. Much to be excited about and much to grieve. 
So I begin your first birthday letter with a full heart. As I look back over your first year, I can't help but smile. I can't even begin to put into words the fun we've had with you. All four of us have been smitten with you from the very moment we met you. You are our angel baby who's had a mom or a dad or grandparent or a brother in your face from the moment you've entered the world. 
Your brothers squeeze you, laugh at you, teach you tricks, bring you toys, make sure you aren't eating cat food, and scream at you when you break their toys. Your mom dresses you up like you are a baby doll, sticks bows in your hair, and bites your rolly arms and cheeks constantly. Your dad scratches your cheeks with his beard a hundred times a day, throws you in the air, blows your tummy, and squeezes your thighs, and you take all of it! We love you so.
You have never really cried a day in your life. You are a content one. Oh how I am thankful for that! Three kiddos is a load, but you have made it so manageable and enjoyable. You have just jumped right into the chaos and rolled with the punches. 
A few our favorite things about you are your fuzzy chick hair, your button nose, your squishiness...you were the butterball of all butterballs! (oh the rolls!), the way your sniff your nose to make us laugh, how proud of yourself you are when you master a new trick, your cow moos, the pats you give us on the back when we hug you, and how well you sleep. I love walking into your room in the morning to get you...you hand me your paci and yaya, and say, "All done!" And everytime I hand you something to eat or play with, you say, "Tank oo." 
You love your baths, squeezing Molly the cat, emptying cabinets and drawers (help!), being outside, milk, waffles, crawling under the kitchen table, the pantry, riding in your pink car, and being sung to. 
Emerson, you are a blessing, and I am so thankful God chose me to be your mama. I am absolutely loving watching you grow and discover the world. I can't wait to see how God grows you what He has in plan for this next year of your life, but for now, I'm just going to smell your fuzzy chick hair, squeeze your chubby thighs, and soak in every ounce of you.
I love my girl.
Happy Birthday to you.
Love,
Mama

Here's a glance back at your year:

























1 comment:

  1. She is sooooo cute! I can't believe she is 1! Love her!

    ReplyDelete