Carter has had some very "toddler" behavior lately. Simply said, he has been difficult in every aspect imaginable. So attempting to be a Shepherding a Child's Heart type of mother, I decided to sit him down and have a heart to heart talk with him. It went something like this:
Me: Carter, Do you know what sin is?
Carter: blank stare
Me: Well, sin is the bad in your heart. When we disobey or whine or when we are mean to others, that's called sin.
Carter: looking out into space
Me: Did you know that that is what Christmas is all about? Jesus had to come to earth to live and die so he could save us from the bad in our hearts. At Christmas we celebrate his birthday...the day He came to live on earth so he could save us.
Carter: Looking at me (I said the word "Christmas" so I got his attention)
Me: Did you know that Jesus can help your heart? He can help you be kind and obedient. He can even help you be brave.
Carter: Can I play Angry Birds?
Me: Sure. (as I giggle under my breath)
Hence the title: "At least I tried" Hahahaha!
I had to laugh at this. It's so typical of all of us isn't it? So many times other people and even God are trying to get through to us, and all we can think about it our "Angry Birds game." My Angry Birds game usually takes the form of a grocery list or dirty bathrooms, or the laundry pile.
I pray that I am more attentive this holiday season and into the new year. Opportunity is all around me. I just need to stop thinking about my Angry Bird game long enough to look and listen to God and those around me.
I am loving this holiday season already. My boys are full of wonder at all the lights, activities, and anticipation. I love a good celebration, and we have already begun around here to celebrate our King.
This little guy is all about Christmas trees. He can spot one a mile away.
And as we all know, everything is exciting when you are 20 months old.
I said, "Coop, sit down and let me take your picture." And he did! I may enter Coop into the world's most charming baby contest. Does that exist? He would win!
But then he was over it.
An elf came to our house! His name is Fly, and he moves around A LOT. He likes Cheetos, Mickey Mouse, and our tree. I love watching Carter's reaction and grin when Fly is on the move.
Hanging out at BB and PawPaw's. Notice Carter's socks....Lightning McQueen. He has 2 pair, and he wears them every. single. day.
Doesn't that grin make you want to squeeze the life out of him? He seriously may not survive his mother's hugs and kisses.
Such sweet pictures gotta love those precious boys!!!!!!
ReplyDeleteMuch appreciated post, Jill! We are trying to teach the concept of obedience and how it shows that we love and trust God. Right now, Jon just associates the word "obey" with the time out corner - hah! Keep on truckin' - that little heart is being shaped by God through you everyday : )
ReplyDelete