My type A personality and need for "a good grasp on things" has definitely worked against me in the raising of my two boys. The first lesson I should have learned in having children is to let go and give it to God. Everyday new challenges arise and everyday I hold onto those challenges, struggle over them, try to fix them, worry over them, etc... instead of giving them up. One would think I would get the hang of this, but my flesh and the sin in my heart are so ever-present!
My cousin sent me an email after reading one of my blog posts about needing encouragement, and she said something along the lines of "I wish I could say it gets easier, but it doesn't. In every stage of child-rearing, there are new challenges." I needed to hear that. I think I have it in my mind that if I just get over the next hump, I will have arrived. For instance I'll think, "If I can just get Cooper sleeping through the night, all will be great" or "If Carter could just conquer this fear or that fear, all will be well." But my cousin was right, when get over one hump, another awaits.
I know God allows our struggles and challenges to bring us back to Him...the source of all comfort and peace. So I can be thankful for the challenges because they keep me dependent on Him.
Right now my specific struggles are Carter's irrational fears and Cooper's sleep schedule. I have been reading Power of a Praying Parent by Stormie Omartian, and it has been awesome. She really makes a point to show the reader in scripture that God made your child, He loves your child, and WILL take care of your child. What a relief!
After giving these struggles to God, taking them back again, giving them up again, etc...I was prompted by the Holy Spirit tonight to go and sit outside each of my boys' rooms after they went to sleep and pray over them through their doors. I just thanked God for the gift of each of them, confessed my anxieties and lack of faith, and asked that God meet their needs as only He can. I can't tell you what a burden was lifted. I think I might make a regular practice of doing this. It was so peaceful to send them into a night of sleep covered in prayer.
I know I am babbling, but if you are like me, you face challenges everyday. Maybe yours aren't child-rearing challenges, but nonetheless, we all have them. Maybe one day I'll get the hang of "giving it up to God" but as of now, even that is a daily struggle. Ha! But for grace, oh how lost I would be!!! Praise be to the God who loves, provides, and meets all our needs according to His glorious riches in Christ Jesus! May I learn to give it all up everyday!
sweet post. i definitely have some anxieties about becoming a mom! i have that book maybe i should start reading it now.
ReplyDeleteHey Jill, thanks for writing this! This is a daily struggle for me as well, and everything that comes with it. Patience, anxiety, worrying...I'm going to get that book tonight! We've definitely had our tough times with Hayes and I know the only answer is to give it to God, he is in control. Your boys are beautiful and I know you are a wonderful mother!
ReplyDeleteThanks for this! I too have struggled with giving things up and taking them back to handle etc and now that I'm fixing to me a first-time mom I have already begun to worry...so the reminder is great!!
ReplyDelete