Dear Carter,
Wasn't it just last month that I was sitting down to write your three year old birthday letter? It is simply mind blowing to me that you have been my baby boy for four years and even more mind blowing that a whole year has passed right before my eyes since your last Thomas the train birthday bash.
As I reflect on the past year of your life, the one word that keeps pressing on my heart is gratitude. I am oh so grateful for the Lord's work this past year in your little mind and heart. I get so emotional when I think about it. My cup overflows with thanksgiving. Our God is a god of miracles, sweet boy, and He is working one in you. This time last year, you were battling some fears and anxieties. You were still struggling with your speech and having frustrations because of it. And although you were making leaps and bounds in overcoming these obstacles, I really had no way of knowing how much you would grow in the coming year. I worship and thank the Lord daily for healing you in various ways. Your speech is phenomenal. Your security level has shot through the roof, and things that would normally cause anxiety, you don't even blink at anymore. God is answering your sweet prayers of, "God, help me be brave." And, "God, help me not worry about where Mama and Dada are." He loves you so much, buddy, and He hears your prayers, and He is answering them! People who hardly know even know us have commented in the last six months saying, "Wow, Carter seems like a totally different child than last time I saw him." And, "I've never seen Carter be so outgoing." And, "He has really come out of his shell!" I am so proud of you. I can't put into words how proud of you I am.
You have become such a conversationalist over the past year. I have loved watching you try and figure out the world around with you. You have such an innocent excitement about life and learning. I love when you get phrases about passing of time wrong...for example, you will say, "Mama, Christmas and baby Emerson will be here in a just a few minutes." :) Love it.
I also love your enthusiasm. You get so into things and your excitement is absolutely precious and contagious. Right now the things that seem to make your eyes to turn to silver dollars and cause you to dance in place are superheroes. Oh my goodness, you love anything having to do with superheroes! You yell and point and gasp at the sight of anything having to do with Spiderman or Superman or any of the other fifteen superheroes. You love to help me cook and bake. You love when BB and Pawpaw come to visit....this always causes squeals and jumping in place. You love swimming, your tractor, the candy store (of course), going out to eat "rice and beans" and catfish and pizza, visiting Dada's office for a piece of chocolate, playing fumble with Dada or baseball or "scare me." You and Dada are BIG buddies!You love chocolate milk, tacos, lasagna, and snow cones. Your favorite shows are Tom and Jerry, Caillou, and Looney Tunes. And the beach...I think it's safe to say this is your favorite place in the world. You talk about it weekly, and the past two visits to the beach have been the highlights of your life! (You get it from your mama.)
I love watching your soak up the Bible stories we read to you. You are a little sponge, and I love listening to you retell them to us.
You are excited beyond excited about baby Emerson coming into our lives. Yesterday you said, "Mama, we gotta get Emerson some pink clothes and some princess pajamas to put in her closet." Melts my heart. You are going to be a fantastic brother to her. You are very interested in how she will be entering the world. Today you asked me if there was going to be a big hole in my tummy after she comes out. Hahaha! You are also very intrigued about me going to the hospital to have her. You often talk about me laying in the bed in the hospital like Pawpaw had to when he was sick. It's a lot for a little four year old mind to take in!
Speaking of being a brother, you and Coop are inseparable! I say it every day....best friends, worst enemies. You two fight like cats and dogs, but just as quick as you stop fighting, you are giggling, playing, having a ball together. Neither of you knows how to function without the other around. But my favorite aspect of your relationship is the way Coop makes you laugh. NO ONE can make you laugh like Coop. He is constantly cracking you up and bringing you down to the ground in giggles. You two also have your own little language. It usually consists of saying the same meaningless word over and over and over again while dancing a weird little dance. You say, "Way, way, way" and "Jo, jo, jo." and "Dinga, dinga, dinga." You two are such weirdos! So fun being home to watch you two.
Carter, you are funny, kind, beautiful...your blue eyes are stunning!, brilliant, resilient, sweet spirited, very tenderhearted, and so so incredibly special to your mama. I can't tell you how special you are to me. You hold my heart, and I often say that you are like my heart outside of my body walking around in this big ole world. I feel what you feel and I rejoice in every milestone and struggle with every bump in your path. You are my boy...my buddy.
You told me last week that I could always be your mama. And I am oh so glad.
God has a wonderful plan for you, sweet boy, and I am so blessed to be the mama who gets to watch it unfold. Can't wait to see what this next year holds for my buddy! I love you with all my heart. You are my sunshine.
Love,
Mama
Here's a look at the past year:


No comments:
Post a Comment