Man, oh, man....this little guy has given me a run for my money lately. Ha! Between adjusting to a new place, getting gigantic molars, and simply being a two year old, we have had some interesting days lately.
How can such a cute and fun kid be so stubborn? Sometimes it's hard to punish him because I am trying not to laugh at how funny he is!
Here is a sample of a normal daily or maybe I should say hourly conversation:
Me: Carter, let's go eat breakfast.
Carter: NO!
Me: Carter, you say "no mam"
Carter: No mam
Me: Time to change your clothes
Carter: NO! (while running away screaming)
Me: You say "no mam" (while chasing him down)
Carter: no mam
Carter: CHIPS!!!! (8:30am)
Me: we can't eat chips right now
Carter: (bursts into tears and swats the air)
Me: Time to sit in on the green couch (time out spot)
Carter: NO!
Me: you say "no mam"
Carter: no mam
I could go on, but I'll spare you the repetition :) I am going to guess that I probably tell him to say "no mam" about 300 times a day. Ha!
I know now why some moms just allow their kiddos to be brats....it's easier!!!!
This discipline thing is HARD WORK! If I didn't love this little stinker so darn much, I might just let him get away with being a "terrible two" year old.
One thing that cracks me up is the drama....everything is a BIG deal in his little world right now. Two year olds very much resemble the teenage years I think....a lot of unnecessary drama :)
Even though Carter has fully entered the two's, I have to brag on him a little bit. He responds really well to discipline (right now at least!). I hope this doesn't stop. If he has to go into time out or gets a spanking, his attitude gets a whole lot better really quickly. It seems to turn him right around....at least until the next incident :)
I am in totally unchartered territory here! Any moms got any tips for two year old discipline, send them my way. Until then, I'll just continue my "no/no mam" conversations :)
You are describing a day in the life of the Adairs! It is exactly the same with LG. She went to time out yesterday, as a matter of fact, for telling me, "NO!" when I told her to do something. The original punishment was 2 minutes--I told her before she sat down that when mommy tells her to do something she is to do it right then and say, "yes mam." When her two minutes were up, I said, "now, come here to mama." She promptly shouted, "NO!" She then had to sit in time out for another minute. After that minute she came to me crying and said, "I'm sorry, mama..." So bad but oh so stinkin' cute!!!
ReplyDeleteJust hang in there and be consistent! Some books to read if you haven't: Don't Make Me Count to Three!, A Mother's Heart, Creative Correction. If I think of others I'll pass those along.
ReplyDelete